Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Calling


What if I've made a grave mistake????

Last night I hung out with my friend Chris who lives in San Francisco. He loves it. He likes the people and their attitudes, the life style, the views,the beach... he just really digs it. It got me thinking... Am I really ever gonna be an East Coast Girl? I don't think so. I might be in New York City but I'll always be a West Coast Girl sampling the other shore.
I like scruffy boys, big art projects and outwardly wacky people.
New York is slickly manicured men, 7 million dollar art project made by one person who is probably French. I do have a little bit of wacky here. Let's be fair.
If I had any significant amount of money right now I'd do what I should have done (but never would have) when I was living in Seattle - I'd go city shopping. I'd rent a car and go through California, hop over to Las Vegas, take a train to Tulsa (because it rhymes)lay on the beach in Miami, spend time in Charlotte with Johanna and then spend some time here. (I don't need to go to the Midwest. I already know I don't like it. If it reduces it's huge cow population we can talk.) See what fits me best. Then move.
I've always thought you'd have to be called to a place. Like when a nun says they were "called" to their vocation. I just wanna take a second here and say I'm really glad I never got that call.
But you know what I mean! It's like God picks up the phone dials your shit up.
This is where I'm gonna be controversial. But I really don't care what anyone thinks at this point - I've moved across the country and I don't feel like I have to prove anything to anyone.
I think I might be called to San Francisco.
I have an interview on Tuesday for a three month internship at E! (Entertainment T.V.) If I got that... I'd like to think I'd find some way to do it. I'd wash some dishes on the weekends, but most likely I'd have to keep borrowing from my parents. We'd have to work something out. So I'd work at E! until September and have that on my resume. I'd also be Super Broke Girl! She jumps over buildings in a single bound! She lifts cars! She FLIES! All the way back home.... find a super cheap living situation in Seattle or Bellingham....get a job and pay back all my debts (including the fucking credit card I constantly have hanging over my head).... and move to San Fran.
It's a plan people. Just a plan. Who knows, I may fall in love, buy a dog and never come back. Just a plan.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calm down, you've lived in New York for 20 minutes.

8:45 PM, May 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About that "continue to borrow from my parents" bit......
I rather like the sound of"borrow" but it is a gft, a grant, if you will. The pay back is your success and/or happiness; whichever comes first but ideally they should arrive together.
Love you,
Daddy
PS Yes, I do read this stuff.
D.

11:20 PM, May 28, 2006  
Blogger In California Dreamin. said...

Question is... are Dad and Dr. Ruth the same person???

I LOVE MY DAD!!!
B.

12:03 AM, May 29, 2006  
Blogger Shoo shoo said...

Love the post from you Dad. Love the new flowery graphic at the top of the page. Love that you're in the abundant adventure of NYC thinking, hmmm...San Francisco. You're an adventurer!

1:33 PM, May 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Just making sure you've subscribed to this email list:

http://nonsensenyc.com/

Bunch of postings for San Fran/Seattle/Burning Man like events in NYC.

Live it up. Have fun.

12:54 PM, May 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The NYC burner community makes up for all those slick men. Shug and Kev and I did more damage with them in one weekend....

3:10 PM, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home