Monday, April 24, 2006

What Mr. Oskar Schell Has Taught Me


I've been trying to be very "in the moment" lately. I'm about to get a little Woo Woo on you here...
With so many new experiences rushing over me constantly, I find it really helpful to be present. Aware of how I feel right in the exact moment. And then the next. Because everything is changing so fast - on the inside and the outside. So just taking breaths and realizing my world as it passes by and through me seems to be helpful.
I'm reading a book right now that I really adore. The main character's voice (that of a small boy who is burdened with the recent death of his father and his extreme intelligence. I love him. He never says he's sad. He says he has "heavy boots.") is really lovely. He has a book where he writes down his feelings. Constantly. He writes down a new feeling as it happens. I should start doing that.
Anyway, this is from the book and I think it's too great.
Here we go...

What if the water that came out of the shower was treated with a chemical that responded to a combination of things, like our heartbeat, and your body temperature, and your brain waves, so that your skin changed color according to your mood? If you were extremely excited your skin would turn green, and if you were angry you'd turn red, obviously, and if you felt like shiitake you'd turn brown, and if you were blue you'd turn blue.
Everyone could know what everyone else felt, and we could be more careful with each other, because you'd never want to tell a person whose skin was purple that you're angry at her for being late, just like you would want to pat a pink person on the back and tell him, "Congratulations!"
Another reason it would be a good invention is that there are so many times when you know you're feeling a lot of something, but you don't know what the something is. Am I frustrated? Am I actually just panicky? And that confusion changes your mood, it becomes your mood and you become a confused, gray person. But with the special water, you could look at your orange hands and think, "I'm happy! That whole time I was actually happy! What a relief!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Shoo shoo said...

Good job Boo! I'm great at living in the past or getting ahead of myself. STAYING RIGHT HERE is hard to do. Hey, in other news are you the one who loves Jeff Buckley? Should I love him too?

5:39 PM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger In California Dreamin. said...

I am. I love him forever and ever amen. You should too. Everyone should. Good starter songs :
Lover You Should Have Come Over or Lilac Wine Both are on his first album, Grace.

7:14 PM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger Shoo shoo said...

He can sing really high.

12:42 PM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home